Saturday, December 4, 2010

What is the Fastest Way to Earn Trust?

The following is a question I received from one of our Referral Minute subscribers and the response it triggered from me. I hope you find this conversation useful.

Question

I receive referrals, but want a process that transforms them into clients. Trust comes with referrals. What else can I do to build that feeling of trust and confidence in me.

Answer

You are right. When you meet a prospect through a referral, you come in at a higher level of trust. You've heard me say, "Referrals are borrowed trust. We borrow the trust in one relationship long enough to earn our own trust in that new relationship."

So what else can you do to earn trust in that new relationship? I have a few strategies, but be careful of the "I already know that" trap. Take a little time to linger on each item to see how you can make this a stronger part of your process.

Like, Admire, or Respect - Find out what your referral source likes, admires, or respects about your new referral prospect. If you can use that information in a genuine way, do so.

Don't Assume You Can Help - In your first contact with your prospect - either by phone or email - don't come on too strong by assuming you can help them. Take a softer approach and present yourself as a "possible resource" for them.

Lead with Non-Compensated Value - We tend to trust people who serve us - especially when we know they won't be compensated for that help. Find a way to serve (educate) your new prospects in ways that don't generate compensation. Your prospects will appreciate your attitude of service


Listen Like Never Before - Try this technique. Listen to your prospects' answers to your questions - without interrupting. Then, pick up your pen and write down what you believed you heard - speaking as you write. Your prospects will correct any misunderstanding and/or acknowledge when you get it right. Your willingness to listen to truly understand will pay big dividends for you.
Ask Good Questions - Questions that get your prospects and clients to think in ways they haven't thought before can bring tremendous value to them. Don't be afraid to teach through questions.

From Refferal Minute Bill Cates

No comments:

Post a Comment