Due to the holiday season, today's Referral Minute will be very brief and pretty simple. I hope that you and your family are having a safe and happy end to 2010 and are bullish in 2011.
To acquire more clients, you have to meet new people - all the time. Just like a good college sports program, your "recruiting" can never stop.
In your efforts to meet more people, you probably find yourself going to different types of events from time to time. Some advisors do this willingly - excited about the new people they will meet. Others, go to these events begrudgingly. Do you think your attitude going in can make a difference in your results? You bet it can! Go to these events open and optimistic and you'll have a better chance to meet one or more great contacts for your business. What you focus on grows stronger in your life. Focus on meeting people and creating successful relationships, then that's what will happen. Focus on being shy or pessimistic, then that's what you'll create as well.
One way to improve your attitude going in - and your results coming out - is to go prepared to meet certain individuals.
With most events, you can usually get an idea - if not a full list - of all the "players" in that organization. Then, do a little research on the internet to prepare yourself to meet these folks.
While I suspect there are many sites you can use, here are two that I've used and I know can help. (If you know of any other websites that can help, please send them over to me.)
Google Them
Take that list of board of directors, top donors, and the like, and Google them. See what you can learn about them. Then, when you meet them at the event, you can slowly direct the conversation to things you know are important to them or that you have in common.
Related to this, put most of your clients, centers of influence, and key prospects into Google Alerts. The next time they are mentioned in the internet, you'll be notified. Be sure to put quote marks around their name if you enter them into Google Alerts ("Bill Cates").
Who's a Mucky Muck?
There is a great website that will allow you to learn quite a bit about some of your clients, prospects, and those who attend business and charity events. Check out www.Muckety.com. To see how this site works, try inserting the name of someone you know that is well connected - say Bill Gates or Steve Forbes. Do a "Muckety Map" on them and you'll see what organizations and what people they are connected to.
Confidence
Approaching strangers - especially high-level folks takes confidence. The more you know about them before you even meet them, the more confident you'll be - therefore - the more effective you'll be.
Follow Up
While not the main point of this Referral Minute, I have to bring it up. There's not much point in going to these events if your intent is to meet new people, but don't follow up with those you meet. Personally, when I'm at events, I'm always looking for a way to connect with people after the event on a more personal level. I listen to what's important to them. If I can make my first follow up about something of value to them in a non-business area, I always feel better and it's a stronger next contact.
No comments:
Post a Comment